Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A new view point. . .

Quite literally. I walked across the mouth of the river at the south point of town this weekend, and walked south along the beach toward the Nulato Hills with the dogs. It was great to be somewhere new (sometimes that is hard to find out here), and seeing something different. As you can tell from the photos a lot of the snow is gone, and bare tundra is poking its head out in more places than I’d like to see at this time of year. The temperatures have cooled down again (around the teens most days- but near –10F with the wind chill) and the snow and ice that remains seems to be holding fast. I was reminded that something similar happened last year, but new snow fell and the rest of the ski season wasn’t lost. . . I’ve got my fingers crossed that the new snow will come soon. The walking was nice despite the lack of ski conditions- the walk took us past many fish drying racks along the beach. Many more than I realized were on that side of the river. I hope to get out there again this week. . . It looks like I could walk for miles – I’m not sure how far the base of the hills are, but I’d like to get over there to see if it’s possible in an afternoon.

As for my trip to Savoonga that you never heard about- well, that is because I never went. The weather conditions on the island were not conducive to flying, so here I stayed. The hope is that the in-service will be rescheduled, so I might have a chance at a later date to get out there. . . we’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home