Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Monday, March 12, 2007

Savoonga. . .

Well, it's been a week since I've been back, but I'm not sure I've sat down yet. . .
It's been a whirlwind of travel, meetings and subs in my classroom. . . I'm still trying to get it all figured out. But enough about the boring stuff. . . let me show you Savoonga!
We lucked out with great weather (good temps and great visibility)- I got to take a long walk on the island, and was envious of the snow they had; I was wishing for a pair of skiis! This is on the ridge, over looking oceananic ice. . . it was all gone the next morning with the warm southerly winds that kicked up that night.
The skin boats, in winter condition, lined the shores and evidence of whaling among the village homes made it unique to any other village I've visited before. I even bought my first piece of ivory- a little seal.


Oh, as for the conference stuff (I suppose that is the reason I went there :)- that went well too. A new position for me to help lead a district mini-inservice, but it went well overall I think. I presented on differentiated instruction, foldables in the classroom, and web-based resources. We did a lot of work on the wiki and the best part, an entire room of people talking MATH!! It doesn't get much better than that ;)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home