Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Saturday, June 30, 2007

My Float down the Chena. . .

This is the life!! I took the opportunity to float down the Chena River a couple of times this week. The first time I kayaked down from Nordale to Pike's Landing. . . a five and a half hour paddle in the brilliant sunshine (85+ F)!!











Along the edges of the river, near the Badger Road section, there is apparently an old car dumping ground that has been buried- Houses are built on top of the 10 feet of soil that buries the old cars- they sit precariously above the rusty, toxic oozing tin and tanks of vehicles sticking out of the banks with trees and other foliage growing from them . . . what does this mean for the wildlife in the waterways?!?

I happen to be floating at the right time to see a young bull moose on the shore line. I watched it for nearly 15 minutes- eating and walking along the shore line. . . I could hear him drinking, I was so close! Very cool! Aside from the moose, I saw an eagle, several beavers, fish and too many birds to write about. . . it was a great time! I ended the day with sunburned shoulders and happy to be out enjoying my day. . . Did I mention I love my summers?!?!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM , Blogger tiff said...

    What a LOVELY FLOAT!

    Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!

    hugs,
    tiff :)

     
  • At 12:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Carrie!
    Sounds like you are enjoying this summer.
    Re the cars along the river bank, people around here used to do this routinely to stop bank erosion; cheaper than placing riprap.
    Keep having fun! Stop by if you're out our way.
    Walt

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home