Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Saturday, August 04, 2007

The last two weeks of my summer. . .

Oh how fast it goes. . . over the last two weeks I was able to visit with more friends across the state and spend time with family and friends in Fairbanks before heading back to Unalakleet. I drove down the Parks Highway and met up with my friend Grant in Denali, and spent a day with him catching up and driving into the Park. We drove as far as we could (Savage Creek) and hiked around the area. We had both just purchased new sandals too, and had to test them out on the rugged terrain. . . they passed the test with flying colors (aside from the toe strap that tightens down on my toe until I have red marks. . . but I've been assured that it will break in and become comfortable. . . I will leave that to next summer to figure out!)

After leaving Grant, I drove down to see the Holt's in Talkeetna and spent a good two days with them. Unfortunately Tiff was terribly sick :( (we think it was a 24 hour flu)- but I was so glad that I was there to help take care of the boys and help out while Tiff slept and threw up throughout the evening :( poor thing :( Thankfully she was feeling better the next day and we were able to do a little bike ride to 'town' to get an onion and the mail (ah, the simple life). . . it was loverly! The evening was filled with naps, conversation and relaxing times. . . I also was madly working on finishing the quilt that I had made for the Holt's as a house warming gift (yes, I know, it's typical to finish a gift before giving it, but who knows me to be typical?!?!). Unfortunately I didn't quite finish and had to mail it to them a week later after finishing the binding. . . :) Thanks for the great visit Holt's! Next time I hope to see Rick too :)

I returned to Fairbanks by driving across the Denali Highway









(the first time in my Alaskan history) and meeting up with Michelle and Onan at Tangle Lakes for an evening of camping and berry picking the next morning. Though a short trip for the Henderson's it was fun and resulted in berries and time spent with family.

I also got to take Onan out for an aunt/nephew camping trip. We went to Birch Lake (outside of Fairbanks) to give mom and dad a free night, and some quality time with my nephew. It turned out to be an interesting night at a very active campground with people partying until 2 am and not showing the typical respect for camping rules that I take for granted. . . a reminder that there are many ways to appreciate the great outdoors. . .



As for the last week or so, it was the typical shopping and mailing process that comes every fall- but I also spent time helping my friend Tim at his place. He is building a cabin in the Goldstream Valley, in a beautiful area. It is a quiet place and I appreciated working in the quiet area for the last couple of days while I was in town.

And now. . . I'm here. Back in Unalakleet, and I've already started working. . . I'm helping present an inservice on differentiated instruction for the next week . . . nothing like being thrown back into work. I'll let you know how it goes. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home