Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

A walk down the beach. . .


. . . offers many interesting sights. . .

A soda can. . . Alaska's Choice apparently, and dead salmon by the 100's

Need a seat?!? Or perhaps a beheaded walrus?

Is this really a beheaded ptarmagin? Any guesses on the skull?

Here is beheaded walrus #2, expanding in the sunlight . And an abused boot.

One of many sea stars, and evidence of a good day of fishing.

and of course gillies!!

**I won a new digital camera at the recent teacher inservice (!!what a deal!!), and decided to take it for a test run**

**In a recent ADN article, there was a report that nearly 80 beheaded walruses can be found on the coast between here and Nome. An astounding number, and experts aren't sure of the reason yet. It is legal to remove the ivory from a dead walrus found on the shore, but it seems unlikley that all of them were found on shore (the gunshot wounds might suggest otherwise as well). I counted nearly 30 of them between UNK and Stebbins , on the beach to the south, when I flew in two weeks ago. . . an outrageous number of animals being killed for their ivory.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM , Blogger NOLA said...

    OH MY GOSH. That is horrible. Can't you eat walrus meat? I didn't in Elim, but I'm sure I've heard of people elsewhere. And why does it seem better to me to kill something if all of it will be used for human consumption rather than a part of it?

    Thanks for posting pics, Carrie - you almost make me miss teaching in BSSD. Have a great year! I'll be blogstalking :)
    -Heidi

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home