Always an Adventure

My attempt at keeping friends and family informed about my doings . . . boring or exciting, it will all be here!

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Senior Trip to ANC

Sunday, October 28th, I headed to Anchorage with 17 seniors for their opportunity to see some post-secondary options they have around the state.
We flew to town Sunday afternoon, and spend the evening eating, doing some shopping and then some planning for the week. You can read about some of their reflections of the week on the school wiki page.
We stayed in the Spring Hill Suites- a nice location for a large group of students for the pool, internet access and all-you-can-eat continental breakfast they serve. Here's the week in a nutshell. . .

Monday: Eagan Center, the College Fair and drive to Soldatna to Alaska Christian College and spend the night there


Tuesday: Drive to Seward, tour AVTEC (Alaska Vocational/Technical Education Center), drive to ANC


Wednesday: Tour UAA, drive to Palmer to tour Job Corps

Thursday: Go to the airport and return home. . . all except me :) heehee

I took a personal day on Friday and stayed in ANC for another two days- it was glorious!! After the whirlwind of the last two weeks, it was so nice to just sit, and relax and escape from it, even for just a little bit. I was able to hang out with my good friend Chuck who happend to be in town too- I took him (and myself) out for a birthday dinner at Peter's Sushi Spot. . . wow. It was absolutely delightful, a real treat.

I did some shopping, went to Tidalwave bookstore for the first time, sat in a coffeeshop and throughly enjoyed the hours I spent there. Chuck and I even attempted our hands, well our feet, at some Latin dancing at Club Soraya. They offer beginners dance lessons before the night gets started. We turned out to be the only ones there for the lessons, so instead of a full hour, the instructor gave us a quick fifteen minute introduction to the Bashette dance for free. Once the crowd picked up, we were content to sit and watch the professionals. It was great fun to watch some amazing dancers whirl their way around the dance floor. Spending a Friday night in a bar/dance club was a reminder of how much I'm NOT a city girl. I enjoy it, that isn't the problem, but I don't fit in. The clothes, the make-up, the walk, the talk. . . I'm okay with it, but it makes me realize the group I do fit in with doesn't live in the city :)

Being back in Unalakleet is nice in a way- coming home is always nice. I'm here watching Cate while Deb and Jason are in the big city themselves. Cate and I enjoyed a movie and popcorn last night, music and dancing today, and even baked a surprise for her parents return (Cate's great idea... Are you sure you want to make a cake? "Yeah, my dad's been gone a whole week!" :) ) I will eventually make it into the classroom to see the damage left from a week of being absent. . . it's never pretty. Only 2.5 weeks till Thanksgiving! and then Christmas is right around the corner! yipee!! Where does the time go?!?!?

3 Comments:

  • At 8:42 PM , Blogger tiff said...

    YOu are sneaky...and here we thought you with kids all week and then the Curriers kids for the weekend...ha :)

    Sounds like you had a lovely trip to Anchorage...with Seniors and your good friend...the dancing sounds fun...but I would be the one watching.

    Oh and you were hangin' with my peeps at the bookstore and coffee shop...that is where Keegan, Rohnan and I hang for hours on end...we can't get enough...actually we will be their this Thursday morning...wanna fly down and meet us.

    You live such an adventurous and excting life...I love it!

     
  • At 5:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow what a busy time with the kids in Anchorage---good to hear you took some much needed "down time".

     
  • At 7:24 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

    Hi Carrie!

    Your time out of Unalakleet sounded lovely! And dance lessons... wow! I bet you and Cate had fun :) A cake for her dad... how special!

    We miss you and our times together.
    Love,
    Stacie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home